series of multi-purpose time locks around 1930 each performing a unique
function. They were a combined unit of a combination lock and time lock. The
Mosler company moved from Hamilton, Ohio to Covington, Kentucky
sometime in the late 1920's. It appears a separate subsidiary, the Mosler
Lock Company, was created for time lock manufacture at this time as the
change in name and location begins to appear on the movement dials. However
the first example below has dials marked "Milford, Ohio", which this author
suspects is a later location than Covington since the time locks are using
movements made by Recta, introduced in the 1950's. Other dials from this
time using the Recta movements usually have no city designation.
This combination of a time lock and combination lock was not a new concept as Sargent and Greenleaf introduced their first
product in 1874 that also had this same configuration but only a few were
ever made. Consolidated also had a combined product in their
Dual Guard and Triple Guard
products. But due to their cost and complexity saw limited production.
However, Mosler appears to have had some success in this field.
The time lock is equipped with a solid door, a four tumbler combination lock
with dial lockout key and two time lock movements. The second photo shows the
lock attached to a dummy wood mounting meant to simulate the the safe door's
thickness and therefore allowing the combination dial to be attached and
The center module contains a four tumbler wheel pack for the combination lock.
Each tumbler is individually programmable to any number 0-99. On either side is
a 120 hour time lock.
In this photo the time lock movements and combination lock wheel pack are
removed. Arrow '1' shows the primary fence controlling the
bolt work. Arrow '2' is the secondary fence used to release
the locking lever shown by arrow '3'. That lever when in
the engaged position as shown in this photo stops the snubber bar,
arrow '4', from sliding completely to the right and preventing the
the primary fence from moving. The round disk in the center is the
combination lock drive cam and is attached to combination dial on the
outside. This cam drives the four tumbler wheel pack. When all four of the
tumblers are aligned with the indentation on the drive cam the fence is able
to drop into the five aligned recesses known as the 'gates'. The empty hole
shown within the circle indicated by arrow '3' can have a
pin inserted which will keep that lever in the open position and allowing
the time lock movements to function normally and the lock to be opened in
the normal fashion. The delayed action can only be activated with the
removal of this pin. See video below for a demonstration. The use
of a second combination to override a time lock was first used in the
single movement time locks made by
the Hall and the successor company Consolidated and was called the
Hall's Infallible Lockout
system. However those employed a
second combination in order to prevent a lockout in event of the
unintentional failure of the time lock. This was a very real possibility as
those models used only one time lock movement. But in this example Mosler
turns the idea on its head and uses the second combination to undo a
purposeful disabling of the time locks. The reason for doing this is in
the event that the owner would want the safe to be locked and prevent anyone
with the primary combination opening the safe for a period that exceeds the
120 hour, 5 day, limit of the time locks.
Video showing a demonstration of the Mosler Model Double C delayed combination
The first photo shows the combination wheel pack and the fourth tumbler.
Next the four tumblers displayed. They all have been set to the number 50.
Model Double C,
Delayed Combination, 1961-1966. The Milford, Ohio designation of the dials
indicate the time frame when this lock was made. One in a series of multi-purpose time locks
produced by the Mosler company. This lock is designed to allow the user to
disable the time locks; preventing anyone with the primary combination from
opening the safe and thus keeping the safe permanently closed until a
secondary combination is dialed in. Once that was done, the time locks were
reactivated and when they went off guard the primary combination could then
be dialed in and the safe opened.
5 7/8"w 5"h x 3"d, case #12062, movements #10182, #10196
These two photos show the rear of the time lock the first with the cover
open revealing the two Illinois Watch Co. movements. The keyhole located
between the movements allowed the operator to disable the movements, turning
the unit into a simple combination lock. The next photo shows the
spring-loaded door closed.
Model D.C.R. #4. c. 1930. This unit features a fixed 20 minute delay that is
automatically set when the the bolt is engaged and the combination knob
turned clockwise one turn. Also equipped with a dial lockout key. This lock,
in contrast to the 'Do-All' model, requires no winding. The action of
cranking the combination knob will wind and set the time locks in motion for
the twenty minute period. Contains two modified Illinois Watch Co. 18-size,
Model #4 pocket watch movements dating this prior to 1932 when Mosler
switched to Waltham movements. Case 4 1/2"w x 3"h x 2 1/8"d, consecutive
movements #5503089, #5503090
Model KCDC. c. 1940. A later type as described in the example above. This unit features
a fixed 20 minute delay that is automatically set when the the bolt is engaged and the
combination knob turned clockwise one turn. Also equipped with a dial
lockout key. This lock, in contrast to the 'Do-All' model,
requires no winding. The action of cranking the combination knob will wind and set the
time locks in motion for the twenty minute period. Contains two modified American Waltham
Co. 16-size pocket watch movements. Case #441, 3"h x 4 1/2"w x 2 1/8"d.
Notice in the second photo the fact that both movements are mounted to the
same plate. This is a departure from the industry practice since Yale
introduced semi-modular movements in 1888 and S&G introduced individual
movements in 1889. They are not, however, paired. The movements can be
separated and are interchangeable but one must first remove the dials and
then unfasten each movement from the front mounting plate to do so. It is
interesting to note that the movement in the left hand movement is an older
Illinois Watch Co. movement which were discontinued by 1932, long before
this type of 120 hour duration dial work was introduced in 1949. These
movements were interchangeable within the movement block with a conversion
mounting ring. The second movement is a Waltham of correct period.
D-A. c. 1958-1961. A hybrid lock that combines a key lock
and time lock. Delayed period may be set 20, 40 or 60 minutes. The re-lock feature may be
set or left off as desired (note lever on lock right hand side). If the locking lever is
set at "on" and the door is not opened within 10 minutes after the delay period
expires, the lock will re-lock until another delay period is set up and expires. A time
lock containing a combination (instead of or in addition to a key lock) and time lock is
called a Timebination lock (see below) and a Sargent & Greenleaf model here. Earlier Mosler locks used a modified Illinois Watch Co.
18-size, Model #4 pocket watch movements. After 1932 Mosler switched to the American
Waltham Watch Co. 16-size pocket watch movement (one used in this example
with the other using an older Illinois watch Co. movement, probably a
retrofit job). Both of these
movements were covered with an attractive domed crystal which kept the movements protected
from the dust and elements. A far better system than movements in other time locks that
were exposed to the elements every time the time lock door was opened. Case
#203, 4"h x
4"w x 2 5/8"d. file 211
Below are two pages from the ten page patent
#2095429 applied for in October of 1937 by William T. Benham an employee of
Mosler for the Model D-A.