adjustments. The movement as received had several shims inserted into areas of the frame.
Apparently in an effort to alleviate friction where the prior repairer was unable to
properly service the the movement and bring it back to it's original operating tolerances.
These were crude efforts in the first three photos. Also note in the 2nd photo the etching
on the top of the frame indicating 'N' in an effort to identify how parts should be put
back together. Other instances of this inexcusable practice are noted here. The last photo shows a shim that was neatly made and
not noticeable when assembled. It turns out that this one and only shim was necessary to
provide proper depthing of the main spring barrel from the second wheel in the going
train. Eliminating this shim caused lock up between these two wheels. All other shims were
unnecessary after the movement was cleaned and adjusted.
The remontoire weight had obviously had additional mass added to it at one time.
Although this was done in a fairly neat workmanship manner, I wanted to see if the
original weight's mass could be enough to drive the escapement. Additional weight on this
part could overdrive the escapement and will definitely cut the duration that the clock
will run on a winding. My guess is, that the prior repairer was not knowledgeable enough
to correct problems leading to excess friction in the wheel train and used this route to
'cure' the problem. The first photo clearly shows the additional material added resulting
in just over 25% additional mass over the original. Total weight was 0.23 oz. This number
shows just how precise this movement is to be able to run on such a small (yet increased)
A dummy weight consisting of lead wool mounted on a toothpick was used to test
different weights. These were logged as weight was decreased until the point that the
remontoire failed to drive the escapement. We are talking incredibly small amounts here.
Starting at 0.23 oz, I went to 0.21, 0.19 0.17 and at 0.16 it failed. Each test had to
last at least 24 hours to be sure the wheels in the going train past the barrel had all
rotated in relation to each other at least once. For a safety margin I stuck with 0.20.
The position that the dummy weight occupied was slightly closer to the fulcrum than would
be the real weight as it hung from it's thread so this also added to the safety margin
since the weight's leverage is increased as it moves away from the fulcrum point. In the
end three quarters of the added mass was eliminated. It is possible that the clock may
have run with all of it removed, but I did not want to take it too close. The result is
that the clock will run an additional amount of time time equal to two turns of the going
barrel, about 4 extra days.